The Macon County Commissioners met for their regular October 2015 meeting, and it was a marathon session. The meeting started at 6:00 pm and ended shortly before 11:00 pm.
The video of the meeting has been divided into three parts and various supporting documents are posted below. There will also be other videos released and posted in separate articles, each with supporting documents embedded that relate to that segment of the meeting.
OCTOBER 13, 2015
- Call to order and welcome by Chairman Corbin
- Moment of Silence
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Public Hearing(s) - 6:05 p.m. Section 5311 (Community Transportation Program Application) and Section 5310 (Elderly Individuals and Individuals with Disabilities Program Application) - Kim Angel, Macon County Transit Director
NOTE: Following the close of the public hearing, the board will consider approval of the applications.
- Public Comment Period
NOTE: Following public comment, the board will go into closed session for the purpose of preserving the attorney/client privilege - NCGS 143-318.11(a)(3)
- Adjustments to and approval of the agenda
- Recognition of employees involved in June 4, 2015 incident at South Macon Elementary School
- Presentation of appreciation to Jeannie Beets Garrett
- Presentation of County Government Partnership Award from the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service
- Presentation regarding robotics program for middle school students - Stan McCormick with Must-Innov8.inc.
- Old Business
- Presentation of Building Inspections and Environmental Health Department fee analysis - County Manager
- Change orders for Union Academy and Highlands School renovation projects - Terry Bell with Macon County Schools
- New Business
- Consideration of franchise and haul agreements with J&B Disposal - County Attorney
- Recommendations from the Community Funding Pool Task Force - Karen Wallace
- Resolution and lease agreement with Vitrum -- La Collezione, LLC - Economic Development Director Tommy Jenkins
- Update on E-waste recycling - Solid Waste Director Chris Stahl
- Change Order Number One for Cullasaja Park - Doug Johnson with Macon County Soil and Water Conservation
- Resolutions and leases for community care clinics in Franklin and Highlands - County Attorney
- Agreement for recreational opportunities with the Scaly Mountain Historical Society, Inc. - County Attorney
- Ratification of e-mail polls:
- September 11, 2015 e-mail regarding NCDOT priorities
- September 18, 2015 e-mail regarding revised concession stand contract
- Consent Agenda - Attachment #11
- All items below are considered routine and will be enacted by one motion. No separate discussion will be held except on request of a member of the Board of Commissioners.
- Minutes of the September 8, 2015 regular meeting
- Budget Amendments #43 - #49
- Tax Releases
- Tax Refund
- Monthly ad valorem tax collection report
- Town of Franklin Extra-territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) Board (one seat)
- Closed session (if necessary)
Here is the full agenda packet that is shared with members of the local media. Currently, Macon Media is the only media outlet to share these public documents with the public.
MEDIA ROLL CALL (a record of which media outlets were present for the meeting)
Macon Media (me)
WLOS-TV (a reporter and a cameraman. Both left after the Recognitions of Valor were handed out) LINK TO COVERAGE
Macon County News and Shopping Guide (one reporter)
WNCC-FM/WFSC-AM (one reporter)
The Franklin Press (one reporter)
If you receive value from what Macon Media provides to the community, please consider becoming a supporter and contribute at least a dollar a month.
In September 2015, 13 people pledged $75.00 and 9 followed through with $55.00. If you have pledged to support Macon Media and have updated your bank card, you need to update your info on Patreon in order for your pledge to be accepted by Patreon and then transferred to Macon Media.
You can find out more information on how to do that and some of what I plan to accomplish if I reach certain levels of funding at my crowd funding page.