Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Monday, August 27, 2007

Who Says Lefties Aren't Commies?

I found this thread on Daily Kos as the Kos Kidz discuss Marx, and how it is wise to discuss his theories without giving proper attribution to him on account of the polarized politics.

He is a great economic & social historian, (8+ / 0-)

from whom much is to be learned; although as an economic theorist -- in the sense that he prescribes an idealized system -- I downgrade him. That is of course no denigration, since I downgrade most economic theorists of whatever political stripe -- excepting only the odd couple of Adam Smith and Keynes.

The problem with espousing Marx, unfortunately, is that it is political poison in today's polarized atmosphere. He should be studied for the enormous lessons he can teach us -- paradoxically, he must at the same time be kept under wraps. My experience is that much of his doctrine would play with great popularity, if only it be not identified as his.

"The hungry judges soon the sentence sign, And wretches hang, that jurymen may dine."

by magnetics on Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 04:04:25 PM PDT




Hat Tip: LGF

3 comments :

The only Marx I follow is Groucho...or maybe Harpo.

Groucho and Harpo, I am not that familiar with, beyond pop culture references to them.

Karl Marx, however, I am familiar with, most especially his collectivism, his ideas that man was basically good, and perfectable (sp?).

The idea that there is no such thing as private property, and everything should be held by the government, and redistributed according to need with the phrase, "from each according to this ability, to each according to his need."
While he may not have originated that phrase, he sure repeated it enough to have made it a by word.

I have a better statement from Ronald Reagan:
"A communist is someone who reads Marx. An anti-communist is someone who understands Marx."

I understand Marx enough to recognize his philosophy in every Democrat Presidential Candidate, and more than one Republican Presidential Candidate.

All the candidates should understand that the nine most terrifying words in the English language are, " I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Another line I've stolen from that great man.

I'm not saying you can't look at ideas...just that I will call people on bad ideas, and Marx's ideas are bad ideas. They have, and will, fail where ever they are tried, and I will do my utmost to prevent them from being tried here. And if they are, I will laugh and say "I told you so!" when they fail...provided America isn't destroyed by them. In that case, there will be hell to pay.