Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Why Fred Thompson is Possible

I have watched this earliest of Presidential Election Cycles with interest, and with growing dismay as the Media has focused almost exclusively on the "Big Three: GOP candidates, none of whom can claim they are conservative without eliciting a belly laugh from me.

Arizona Senator John McCain may have been a conservative at one time, before I started paying attention to politics, but he is not now. My biggest beef with him is the unconstitutional McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform. That criminal piece of legislation has Congress restricting the First Amendment, and so far, the Supreme Court has provided an amen chorus. My second biggest beef with him are his incessant attempts at collaborating with Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy on "Comprehensive Immigration Reform," a piece of legislation that seeks to "legalize" illegal behavior, and would, if passed, cause vastly more harm to this country than McCain-Feingold.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has never been a conservative. Some of his views may coincide with conservatism, and other views have undergone the playdough oven treatment to dress them up for the Primary.

My biggest beef with Rudy is his support for Abortion. The Playdough Oven Treatment has transformed this into, "I support a woman's Right to Choose; but I will appoint Justices that will limit that Right to Choose." The Cognitive Dissonance on that one issue is enough to threaten a rip in the space-time continuum.

His position on the Second Amendment is similar. He supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms; but not in a "Big City" like New York City, where the rules of normal space-time do not apply. As someone who has possessed, and used, firearms in a major city, I can assure you that group of armed citizens can, and will, do a better job of policing their neighborhood than the police ever will.

Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney is not a conservative. Many in his faith are, he is not, unless he has experienced a genuine change of heart.

My biggest beef with him is his support of the Mandatory Universal Health Insurance signed into law by him while Governor.


I am one of the "43 million" uninsured Americans. I am uninsured by choice. I do not play lotteries, nor subscribe to the reverse lottery of Health Insurance that only pays if you lose, and then pays someone else from a common pool. No.
I have used money that would have gone toward premiums, and have invested that money, along with money for my retirement since 1986. When big expenses come, I trade some of my investment for money, then pay for my own care.


That one issue is enough to remove the governor from my short list.

There is one conservative running for the GOP nod, and that is California Representative Duncan Hunter. If he were given the same coverage as the Three Princesses of the GOP, there would be no contest, and no need for Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson to be "drafted."

I am told he is charismatic, and "of the Reagan Mold." He also has played a character on Law & Order. I am probably one of twelve people in America who has never seen a complete episode of that show. I dislike lawyers, and "courtroom dramas" even more. I also believe that people who watch Court TV of their own free will should be shot as a service to humankind.

The Media have overplayed the candidates that are not palatable to the rank and file of the Republican Party. A candidate like Fred Thompson cannot be ignored by the media, and the charisma factor is necessary to make up for the biased media coverage. The Media played along, and vastly underestimated the man who became the 40th President of the United States, and may fall for it again.

My personal Preference is for Duncan Hunter, with a big possible for Newt Gingrich, who has been playing coy with getting in the race. If Fred gets in the pool with the others, Newt will have zero chance. I'll have to support Duncan Hunter in the hopes that a strong showing will get him the Veep slot beside a Presidential Fred Thompson. I guess I should order those Thompson/Duncan bumper stickers now.

Like it or not, I'll have to start covering the 2008 Race as more than something of a diversion.

/sarcasm

0 comments :