Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Whither Ismail Ax?

I don't quite know what to think of the weird inked inscription on Cho's arm. I have been reading about the speculations on and off, and am still unsure.

Why would the murderer remain silent, and only give vague hints?

Could the young man have been a weapon found, forged, and directed to keep blame off the conspirators? [A 5GW Tactic]

I don't know.

Read more at Webloggin, where some more thinking, and linking has been done. I am ill, and just don't have the energy to do original research just now.

3 comments :

"Could the young man have been a weapon found, forged, and directed to keep blame off the conspirators? [A 5GW Tactic]"

Y'know, I've actually wondered this myself. Earlier while driving home the thought occurred to me that foreign (or even domestic) 5GWers could capitalize on an individual's insecurities, demons, etc., and subtly push him into acting violently in this manner. Rather than be a sort of AQ all-Muslim brigade, w/ suicide killers and so forth, the new terrorists could be "Lone Wolf" operators who do not even realize they are serving the 5GW plan.

I'm not saying this is what happened, only that it's a possibility to keep in mind for the future.

And we must keep in mind that the killing spree itself might be considered a secondary or tertiary benefit of the operation.

What those other objectives could be would be hard to surmise since we don't really know who they would be...I still think the guy was likely either an individual who had a psychotic episode, or a volunteer with no one acting as his control.

I would need access to his writings , video, and interview people in the community before I could make an informed judgment call, but the fact that his father worked in Saudi Arabia for a time interests me. Was Cho in Saudi Arabia? Did his father give him trinkets from there, perhaps English or Korean translations of Wahhabi propaganda?

The way our government is choosing to fight this war leads me to believe we will never have access to the material, nor to their conclusions.

From what little I've seen of the media he sent to NBC, a potential "primary" goal of the shootings (if this were indeed 5GW) might be to exacerbate the "America is gluttonous, debauched" sort of meme. That does play into the Wahhabist worldview. But it also aligns with a lot of the "Global Warming" thinking. It also, incidentally, plays into China's "Chinese classicism" theme, in which material waste is considered morally decadent.

If Cho was some sort of pawn, that piece on the chessboard may have been merely a way of accentuating the "American Waste" sort of meme, etc. Besides which, I've no doubt that many others who are not homicidal already buy into that meme, and this could spur them on in their non-kinetic efforts.