Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Friday, May 5, 2006

Cinco de mayo



This has been one of my favorite French-bashing holidays.

I used to say even the Mexicans have beaten the French on the field of battle. Well, after The Battle of Puebla sent the Frogs in headlong retreat, Napoleon III sent an overwhelming force that seized Mexico from its inhabitants, and installed the Archduke from Austria, Maximillian, as Emperor.

The United States were involved in the Civil War, and could not intervene to help our neighbor until that affair was concluded. Soon after, we sent the weapons and ammo that allowed the Mexicans regain their independence from Europe.

So, my little amigos, you wouldn't even have a country if it weren't for us gringos. Worse yet, you guys would be speaking french !!! Sacre Blu, mes amies !!!

Seriously, you'll find more about cinco de mayo at answers.com. Notice the differences in the account from the sources.

Update

Blogbat has an interesting idea about how to celebrate cinco de mayo, I only wish I'd had more warning! The nearest flag store is over 60 miles away in Asheville!!! I'll stock up for next year... also, get a Mexican Flag to fly underneath the French flag...upside down.

0 comments :