Those interested should respond to the email below, or further co-ordination can be achieved by contacting me at ThunderPigBlog+aim AT gmail DOT com.
That is all.
I have posted this to the Forum (thanks Bjorn for the forward) -- #6. Defense/Offense: War Strategy
I will contact Jack and Steve very soon,
TO: Conservative Leaders
FR: Jack Wheeler & Steve Baldwin
RE: The Creation of an Anti-Islamofascism Movement
Anti-Communism: The Original Conservative Movement
One cannot write the history of the Cold War without acknowledging the key role played by the American Anti-Communist Movement. It was a broad movement involving many different organizations that, for four decades, kept its focus on the defeat of the Soviet Empire. And it succeeded.
Indeed, Anti-Communism was the defining issue that brought hundreds of thousands of people into the conservative movement from the 1950s throught the 1980s. There was a sense that this movement had to be successful if not only America but Western Civilization itself were to survive.
What did this Movement Accomplish?
The Anti-Communist Movement was formed after World War II when it was revealed that Soviet spies were operating throughout our government. This movement became one of the most successful political movements in our history.
It started out slowly due to liberal propaganda during WWII which convinced many Americans that Russia was our friend since they were aligned with us during the war. By the 1950's, the Anti-Communist Movement had created a massive infrastructure which became a major educational and political force within America. This movement:
* Exposed pro-communist groups operating within our borders. The movement lobbied Congress to have hearings and even to create standing committees to carry out investigations (such as the House Un-American Activities Committee). This greatly limited the effectiveness of these pro-communist groups and educated an entire generation of Americans about the domestic subversive threat.
* Lobbied for bigger defense budgets, a bigger Navy, more nuclear missiles, SDI, and a more aggressive foreign policy to oppose the Soviet Empire.
* Generated a slew of newsletters, magazines, speaker bureaus, radio shows, etc. that educated generations of Americans as to what Communism stood for and how it endangered our freedom.
* Created a political force that affected the election of hundreds of Anti-Communist politicians and influenced how people voted for at least 2-3 generations. This movement eventually led to the election of Ronald Reagan, the person most responsible for our victory over the Soviet Empire.
The Infrastructure of Anti-Communism
This American Anti-Communist Movement also created an infrastructure by establishing smaller specialty groups that focused on individual issues. For example, the movement created groups that:
* Supported Anti-Soviet Freedom Fighter movements challenging communist regimes in Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Angola and other Soviet colonies. Some of these groups raised funds for these resistance movements and even delivered supplies.
* Developed and promoted the concept of missile defense as a viable strategic tactic.
* Worked on intelligence issues such as making sure our intelligence agencies had the resources to counter the Soviet threat.
* Worked on geo-strategic issues such as energy and how they affected the Soviet Empire.
* Encouraged and funded East Bloc dissidents and helped dissidents escape from Iron Curtain countries. Such groups would send these dissidents on speaking tours creating a flurry of articles about the horrors of the Gulag and the inhumanity of the Soviet system.
* Smuggled in Anti-Communist literature behind the Iron Curtain; Christian mission groups would smuggle in Bibles knowing that religious belief would help undermine the Soviet Communist system.
* Lobbied corporations and government entities to disinvest funds from the East Block or to cease trade.
* Lobbied to increase funding for the Defense budget and to educate Americans about massive Soviet military spending.
* Formed Anti-Communist youth groups domestically (Young Americans for Freedom) and worldwide (World Anti-Communist League) whose main goal was to educate youth about communism.
* Formed groups that pushed for alliances with other countries who were similarly threatened, such as NATO.
Forming a Similar Infrastructure to Combat Radical Islam
We don't think anyone can dispute the fact that the forces of Islamofascism have embarked upon a World War of global conquest that may last for decades if not longer. Since Islamofascist terrorists have no boundaries, this war will be even tougher to fight than our battle was against the Soviet empire.
Already, the Islamofascists have a beachhead in Western Europe. According to demographic experts, Europe will become Islamic in a generation - and it's not the moderates who hold sway in the Islamic communities in Europe. If these numbers are translated to political power - which undoubtedly will be the case - it will have dire consequences. Eventually, radical Islamic political blocs will take power in many European nations such as Belgium, Holland, France, and Britain.
The Washington Times reports (11/21/06) that Russia is well on its way to becoming an Islamic country. Within eight years (by 2015) over half the soldiers in the Russian Army will be Moslem. By 2020, over 20% of Russia's entire population will be Moslem.
What happens when Moslems in political power have access to the nuclear arsenals of Russia, France, and Britain?
Couple this with the increased presence of Islam in Africa and Latin America, and there is a distinct possibility that America, within a generation of two, will be alone in the world. We would be encircled by enemies dedicated to our destruction. No doubt by then, there will be thousands of Jihadists within the US prepared to carry out terrorist acts on command from international Islamic powers.
We cannot allow this to happen without a fight. Western Civilization is worth fighting for. We cannot allow our grandchildren to live in Islamofascist tyranny.
But we don't seem to be prepared for this war. Unlike the movement created during the Cold War, there doesn't seem to be much of an infrastructure to combat Islamofascism.
If we truly care about our children and grandchildren, then we must create an infrastructure modeled after the Anti-Communist Movement. Here's a few areas off the top of our heads that an Anti-Islamofascism Movement could be addressing:
* Investigate radical mosques. 80% of mosques in America are Saudi-funded and promote a form of Radical Islam known as Wahhabism. There aren't any groups that monitor them or call for congressional or IRS investigations of their activities. Yet we know from literature picked up by those who have signed up for classes at these mosques that many promote jihad against the West. If a Christian church did that, they would lose their tax-exempt status within a week.
* Support Anti-Islamofascist freedom fighters. There are resistance and dissident groups within Iran and other radical Islamic countries who are willing to organize against their regimes if they had some outside assistance. Yet there are no groups set up to promote their cause or to lobby Congress to get them covert assistance.
* Thwart attempts to impose Sharia Law. The ultimate goal of Islamofascists is to impose Islamic "Sharia" religious law upon us all. Groups could monitor and block every Fabian effort (imposing Sharia in small bites) like demands for prayer rooms and allowing headscarves in schools.
* A Rapid Response media team to stand up to Islamic bullying. The US Airways story removing Moslem imams from a flight resulted in a barrage of denunciations from Moslem advocacy groups like CAIR with no one to give a "fair and balanced" rebuttal. What is needed is an "Anti-CAIR" media team that can praise the justifiable concern of airline passengers for their safety and demand that Moslems understand that concern. There must be no tolerance for Islamic bullying.
* Form an Anti-Islamofascist publishing network. There is a great need for more publications and newsletters that focus on the Islamofascist threat both here and abroad. Remember the "Pink Sheet of the Left"? It launched an explosion of Anti-Communist publications.
* Create an Anti-Islamofascist portal on the Internet. There's a need for a website "portal" coordinating efforts to monitors all the radical Muslim foundations, leaders, organizations, mosques, etc. now operating in the US who have already been tied to terrorists or are espousing radical viewpoints. Such a website would also allow private citizens to contribute intelligence to it. For example, Joe Sixpack reports picking up a flyer promoting jihad from a neighboring mosque. This intelligence would be checked for accuracy and if accurate, added to the entry on the website under the name of that mosque.
* Establish an Anti-Islamofascist Speakers Bureau. There are many experts in addition to the small number now known to the media such as Frank Gaffney and Robert Spencer, who can talk about the world-wide Islamofascist threat. But most media people don't know who they are or where to find them. There's a need for a speaker's bureau marketing Anti-Islamofascist experts in a systematic fashion to all the major media outlets.
* Monitor the billions now being spent on Homeland Security. There are already reports of large-scale waste and fraud occurring, which, of course, takes funds away from counter-terror efforts. There currently aren't any groups that monitor the effectiveness of various Homeland Security tactics or lobby to institute new tactics and strategies that may be more effective.
* Wage an ideological assault on Islamofascism. Radical Islam is a totalitarian doctrine with numerous parallels to Marxism, yet intellectually crude and medievally primitive. A scholarly assault through think-tanks, seminars, and conferences can be conducted, targeting the multitude of weaknesses and vulnerabilities of Islamofascism.
* Support the Chinese Christian Back to Jerusalem project to evangelize Moslems in Europe and the Middle East. China is on its way to becoming a majority Christian nation within 20 years, with over 100 million Christians right now. Not only can they serve as a major bulwark against the spread of Islam in Asia, but many are determined to reverse that spread throughout the world. Teams of Chinese missionaries are already preaching the Gospel in many countries abroad, with tens of thousands to follow. Their efforts could be greatly assisted by the large network of Christian philanthropists who fund mission work.
* Create a Global Anti-Islamofascist Coalition. We need to identify and work with other organizations in Europe and elsewhere who are working against the Islamofascist threat. They exist, but few know anything about them. The Anti-Islamofascist movement needs to become a world wide coalition.
* Reframe the illegal immigration issue as one of national security. This is already being done by Congressman (and 2008 presidential candidate) Duncan Hunter. There is evidence that Moslem Terrorists may have crossed our porous borders and if it hasn't happened already, it certainly will. We also know that they have exploited other immigration issues such as the student VISA program so favored by the 9/11 terrorists. And yet, there is little evidence that much has changed in this regard. We still allow people in from terrorist-harboring countries with little checking, and the Democrats are determined to block the construction of a security fence on our southern border.
* End our dependence on foreign oil that's funding the Islamofascists. Despite protests to the contrary, we know that Saudi money is being funneled to radical madressas and foundations that are the training grounds for Radical Islam. We also know that Hugo Chavez in Venezuela is using his oil billions to fund anti-American groups. It is time that we pushed our political leaders to get out of the way and allow America to become energy independent. We need to stop subsidizing our own enemies.
Most Americans are unaware that the Democrats are largely responsible for our dependence on foreign oil. The efforts by Democrats to block the drilling of existing oil and gas deposits (such as the gigantic reserves off our Atlantic and Florida Gulf coasts) and to stop the construction of oil refineries and nuclear power plants is outrageous and needs to be aggressively attacked. This movement should set as one of its goals the elimination of these obstacles so that America can be energy independent within a decade.
Where Do We Go From Here?
We are not claiming to be experts on how to launch such a movement; we're just throwing out some ideas based on lessons we learned from being veteran "Cold Warriors" in the Anti-Communist Movement. The intent of this memo is simply to get conservative leaders thinking about how we can create an Anti-Islamofascism infrastructure in this country.
This needs to be done in order to preserve both America and Western Civilization. It's about our survival. Without the Anti-Communist Movement, it's likely we would still be in the midst of the Cold War today. Wise men and women rose up to the challenge and created a movement that was very much opposed by the existing political and media establishments. But we won. Then we all went to sleep.
The Anti-Communist Movement was funded in large part by a network of philanthropies and foundations - Scaife Foundation, Smith-Richardson Foundation, Coors Foundation, and many others who provided the seed money for many of the most successful Anti-Communist groups.
Similarly, we will need many of today's conservative foundations and philanthropies to reassess their missions. They need to be encouraged to reorient their mission so as to help finance projects aimed at combating Islamofascism.
Yes, many of them are engaged in important work such a promoting civic and moral values, faith based initiatives, and improving the quality of education. But none of this work will mean much if we lose our culture to radical Islam.
And then, of course, we have lots of existing conservative groups but very few of them are focused on addressing this threat. We believe that every conservative group out there needs to reassess is mission and ask itself how it can contribute to this offensive. Perhaps new groups will need to be formed that will focus solely on combating Islamofascism.
Once this infrastructure starts to coalesce, it would be productive to have formal coalition meetings to discuss how best to further our goals.
Perhaps a meeting needs to be called to discuss all this. Your thoughts?
Please email us at: scbaldwin@adelphia. net
Yours for America and its survival,
President, Freedom Research Foundation
Executive Director, Council for National Policy Action, Inc.