Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Post Eclipse Post

I enjoyed watching last night's eclipse, but was dogged by a desire to experiment with various modes and exposures for most of the night. Out of 286 photos I took, only about a dozen are worth sharing. Of those, I whittled things down to the 6 best.


The Moon rose behind a bank of clouds that began to thin into partly cloudy, with the Moon being visible for a few moments at a time. So, I took this 8 second exposure while the clouds scurried in front of the Moon.



Then, the sky began to be mostly free of the clouds, allowing the Moon to shine forth in all her glory just as the Eclipse was beginning. This was a 4 second exposure to allow some detail of the clouds to be shown.


After a period of time, the Moon became covered by the Earth's shadow.


This is a slight over exposure of 0.62 seconds to bring out some detail of the eclipsed portion of the lunar disc. It also allows an appreciation for the beautiful red color that the Moon had begun to reflect, as all the world's sunsets shown through the atmosphere some 240,000 miles away.


This is the Moon in eclipse.

And here is what made this particular lunar eclipse unique, the Moon was with a few degrees of a bright star, and a bright planet. I have labeled the photo so you can identify the players.


Now, we have to wait until December 21, 2010 for the next total lunar eclipse in North America. Bummer. Maybe I'll have better equipment by that time so I can do some really geeky things during the eclipse!

2 comments :

Nice sequence of shots! I tried, but didn't get much to brag about. Of course, I see you had a little "headstart" on me :-)

Was wondering...what camera and lens were you using? I had a 200mm on my Nikon D-40, and that wasn't enough to get anything very sharp.

I'm trying to justify spending the big bucks for a longer lens, but I'd better not!

Thanks

Thanks. Your shot looks pretty good to me.My camera is a Kodak Z710 I bought back in June. My counter reads 9755 shots already!!!

I had it on a tripod, ($20 at Wally World) and fought to find the right combinations of Lens Aperture, F Number, and Shutter Speed. I am not a pro...I just kept digging through the combinations until I found something that worked, and then played around that range.


You can find the specs at Kodak, my previous Z710 broke when it fell off my truck in June. It cost $249 at Wally World. I am saving up to buy a telephoto lens for it sometime in the fall.