Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Gulahiyi Covers Theories of the Judaculla Rock

One of my favorite bloggers has written about a local archaeological object, Judaculla Rock, which is located in Jackson County, North Carolina. He covers many of the theories about the origin of the odd carvings on the soapstone rock.

Go read it.

Like many locals, I have not been to Judaculla Rock. Maybe I'll drop by soon, and do a photo essay on the rock, and record some video. I wish someone in our family had recorded my Cherokee great grandmother telling stories about Judaculla and other Cherokee legends. I can only remember her telling about Judaculla and the Little People, because they scared me pretty good. Maybe that is one reason I've never been, perhaps somewhere inside me is little child, fearing the striding giant.

Here are my bookmarked sites on Judaculla (It has been on my to do list for a while now) for you to explore:

National Forests in North Carolina

UNC Chapel Hill RLA Course Section

Juanitta Baldwin
(I have her wonderful book, Smoky Mountain Mysteries)


0 comments :