Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Monday, February 27, 2012

Music Monday: Winter Daydreams





This is Tchaikovsky's earliest notable work, called "Winter Daydreams" and I think it is appropriate for those of us who have missed having a winter this year.

Details of the work and performance:


P. I. Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 1 "Winter Daydreams" in G minor, Op. 13 (1866) [Wikipedia]

1. Allegro tranquillo g-moll (Dreams of a Winter Journey)
2. Adagio cantabile ma non tanto (Land of Desolation, Land of Mists)
3. Allegro scherzando giocoso (Scherzo)
4. Andante lugubre (Finale)

Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra [Discography]
Conductor - Vladimir Fedoseyev [web] [Wikipedia]
Recorded live at the Alte Oper Frankfurt, 1991


Whenever I hear this work, I cannot help but think that Jerry Goldsmith borrowed a musical phrase or two from this piece and used it in his upbeat "Leaving Drydock" that was used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I have embedded a video of it below...








Bookmark and Share

0 comments :