I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti Suffers a 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake

From the USGS:

Earthquake Details

Location18.428°N, 72.875°W
Depth9.9 km (6.2 miles) (poorly constrained)
Distances60 km (35 miles) WSW of PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti
95 km (60 miles) ENE of Les Cayes, Haiti
160 km (100 miles) SSW of Cap-Haitien, Haiti
1110 km (690 miles) SE of Miami, Florida
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 6.5 km (4.0 miles); depth +/- 25.7 km (16.0 miles)


Since Twitter is usually my first source of information in situations like this, I'm learning that perhaps I should not have let myself become rusty in the older ways of gathering intel on breaking news items.

So, I'll keep updating this post with new information as I get it.


A strong earthquake has once again struck Haiti, shaking buildings and causing panic, eight days after a 7.0 magnitude quake left much of the nation in ruins.

The U.S. Geological survey said latest quake had a magnitude of 6.1 and was centered 59 kilometers from the devastated capital Port-au-Prince. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries from Wednesday's quake, which comes as an international aid effort is underway to help those affected by last week's powerful earthquake.