Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm from America, and I DON'T Apologize


President Obama is in Europe, apologizing for being an American, and Bobby Eberle, writing in the GOP Loft,  has a problem with that:

Fortunately, most Americans do not agree with Obama's perception of his own country. As Scott Rasmussen points out in his latest Rasmussen Reports poll, most American voters -- 54% -- say "it would be better for the world if Europe became more like the United States." Only 22% had the opposite view.

There are two real problems I have with Obama's comments. The first is that they are simply cheap political theater. A sitting president of the United States should not be taking shots at his predecessor, especially on foreign soil. Making yourself look good by making America look bad is not an action becoming a president of the United States. It is pathetic.

Second, Obama's comments show that he has little understanding of history, Europe, or America. European leaders, and thus a portion of each country's citizenry, don't like us because we are dismissive or derisive. They don't like us because we are successful. While other nations bowed to the demands of dictators and aggressive nations, America stood up and said, "Not only will we fight for us, we will fight and die for you too." America, in a little over 200 years, has built the largest economy in the world. Other nations turn to us for advice, protection, guidance, you name it.

America is not afraid to lead. Leadership and success lead to resentment, and to have Obama apologize for this is disgraceful. I am an American, and I am proud of this country. I am proud that we fought to liberate Great Britain, France, and other countries of the world during WWII. I am proud that when no other countries moved a muscle, America took the lead in throwing Iraq out of Kuwait. I am proud that American innovation has put men on the moon and lead to a medical system that is the envy of the world. Where do those America-bashing world leaders go when they are sick? One guess. I'm from America, and I DON'T apologize.

0 comments :