Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Muslim President Obama by Asma Gull Hasan



Why members of the Islamic faith see him as one of the flock.

I know President Obama is not Muslim, but I am tempted nevertheless to think that he is, as are most Muslims I know. In a very unscientific oral poll, ranging from family members to Muslim acquaintances, many of us feel, just as African-Americans did for the non-black but culturally leaning African-American President Bill Clinton, that we have our first American Muslim president in Barack Hussein Obama.
I know it's odd to say this. At first, I thought I was the only Muslim engaging in this folly, and I am reluctant to express it lest right-wing zealots try to use "Muslim" as a smear and cite my theory as proof of an Islamic traitor in the White House or some such nonsense. But, since Election Day, I have been part of more and more conversations with Muslims in which it was either offhandedly agreed that Obama is Muslim or enthusiastically blurted out. In commenting on our new president, "I have to support my fellow Muslim brother," would slip out of my mouth before I had a chance to think twice.
"Well, I know he's not really Muslim," I would quickly add. But if the person I was talking to was Muslim, they would say, "yes he is." They would cite his open nature and habit of reaching out to critics, reminiscent of the Prophet Muhammad's own approach, and also Obama's middle name, Hussein. Most of the Muslims I know (me included) can't seem to accept that Obama isnot Muslim.
Of the few Muslims I polled who said that Obama is not Muslim, even they conceded that he had ties to Islam. These realists said that, although not an avowed and practicing Muslim, Obama's exposure to Islam at a young age (both through his father and his stint in Indonesia) has given him a Muslim sensibility. In my book, that makes you a Muslim--maybe not a card-carrying one, but part of the flock for sure. One realist Muslim ventured that Obama worships at a Unitarian Church because it represents the middle ground between Christianity and Islam, incorporating the religious beliefs of the two faiths Obama feels connected to. Unitarianism could be Obama's way of still being a Muslim.

Source: Forbes
Hat Tip: Echo910 (via email)

Commentary

Imagine that.

I remember a long drawn out discussion I had on a progressive group blog about these very things, where I brought up many of the same arguments that this writer does, and was not believed by the hooligans there, and was even called various versions of a hater for doing it. I wonder if they will say the very same thing about a Muslim who has now said the very same things.

You'll also note that many of the comments are addressed to someone called "TP" or "Pig" or "Thunder Pig". That is me. My comments have been removed "webscrubbed" if you will, because either they are very cogent, or may be a result of my banning from commenting at the group blog recently. I draw your attention to the very strident nature of the "progressive" reaction to my commentary and analysis...which are now gone down the Orwellian Memory Hole because that is who lefties are, destroyers of whatever they disagree with.

Just as Pahroah decreed the name Moses is to be stricken from history, so do the lefties order even the record of the opposition to be stricken from history. But you can still see echoes of my presence because some of the commenters have quoted portions of my commentary

I think that Gordon Smith [photo] (future Asheville City Council candidate) has just run into the same problem faced by Josef Stalin, sometimes when you airbrush people from history...an empty spot remains, as in the photo below where an enemy of Stalin's is removed from the photo:
 
This photo is in the public domain.

This is just one more example of what I call "Stalinist Tactics of the Left" [examples from Malkin], and a reminder that altering webpages, removing blogs and removing videos from youtube only works if there exists no other copies of them made by forward-looking individuals. Johnny Rockslide will live again, if only in political commercials. A Bene Gesserit punishment banquet can be a long feast indeed. Hors d'oeuvres, anyone? 

So, back to the Obama "will be seen as a Muslim" claim: this woman gives anecdotal evidence to back up my claims, which, when forecast by me...were evidence (to lying lefties, at any rate) of me trying to spread hate. So, is this woman trying to spread hate? Am I by reporting upon it? Or the lefties who try to distort my words or intentions by their attempts at misdirection?

I expect to be vindicated in several other statements I have made about an Obama Presidency in the next four to eight years.

0 comments :