Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project

The much whispered about Google Phone is here, except it isn't a phone...it's an open-source code for use on phones that will be built by other people, sort of what Microsoft is for computers. This could revolutionize the cell phone industry beyond recognition by allowing many minds to create whatever they will.

Since I live without TV, I have no idea what kind of buzz this is generating in the Legacy Media, and only heard about it this morning when I got around to reading Al Fin, who has a good overview.

The overview led me to the following video:




which led me to the android developers you tube page and website and the Open Handset Alliance.

And a wiki. Yay!


We live in very exciting times!

3 comments :

Open Source options can be very handy indeed. I use Open Office and Audacity, neither of which cost a dime, and they work great! Open Office is updated on a regular basis, and so far as I can see, does everything Microsoft Office does, and maybe even a little more.

I use Open Office and Audacity as well, and have recently started using Google Docs, and am designing a News Reader page to go with my news site to cut down on my "aggregating time" so I can do more productive things.

Also, due to the Introduction of Windows Vista, I will be using some form of Linux on my next computer.

Just started using Google Docs last week, so far I like it for certain things, and I like that it is compatible with Open Office. I'll consider Linux for a second computer, but I still like Windows XP. I've considered a Mac, perhaps a laptop, and Apple is now working with Open Office, accepting their Open Document Format.