Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke 1918-2008

One of my favorite Science Fiction authors has died. Perhaps his greatest accomplishment was his idea to place satellites 22,300 miles in orbit so they would appear to be "stationary" in the sky, and make communications easier beyond the horizon. Some call it the "Clarke Belt" in his honor.

Here is his 90th Birthday message from his home in Sri Lanka:



And here is an odd animated short:


And I'll end my tribute to this man by sharing the greatest seven minutes of cinematic history, inspired by his book, 2001 A Space Odyssey. A little known fact about the original story...the Bigger Monolith was originally orbiting Saturn, and was later changed to Jupiter in later editions of the book.



0 comments :