Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Monday, September 10, 2012

Franklin TDA 09-10-2012



I will be posting a higher resolution video of this meeting here later. Until then, here is a low resolution version that was processed with speed in mind.

I may also have some commentary on what happened at this meeting once I calm down enough to put words on the public record here. I am interested to see if the local papers will convey what happened at this meeting or if they'll white wash what happened.

I will be processing an HD Version of this video later this week, but felt it was important enough to get this out as soon as I could so people could watch it and make their own judgments about what happened.




<center>AGENDA</center>


Town of Franklin Tourism Development Authority

MOnday, September 10, 2012

5:30 pm @ Twon Hall



I. Call to Order by Candy Presley



II. Approval of minutes



III. Financial Report



IV. Financial Report
     a) Finance/Budget -Summer Woodard, Chair
     b) Policy & Procedures - Summer Woodard, Chair
     c) Funding Evaluationb Committee - Deb Heatherly, Chair




V. Unfinished Business
     a) Grant Request for Advertising in Dashboard & Saddlebags
     b) Grant Request for SMCFTPA - Nikki Pons
     c) Grant Request for Downtown Businesses - Martha Holbrooks



VI. New Business
     a) Billboard Request for Gun Show - Ron Haven
     b) Billboard Request for Shop Franklin First - Linda Schlott
     c) Update from Angel Media on website and Comcast
     d) Update from Sylvia Cochran on Smoky Mountain Rumble
     e) Update from Ron Smith on Ruby Bash



VII. Items from the floor



VIII. Announcements


IX. Next meeting October 8th, 2012 Board Retreat


X. Adjournment






Bookmark and Share

1 comments :

I'm glad to see that someone is holding the group accountable for their meetings. And I have a couple of concerns that hit me as I was watching, so to be simple, I will cut a paste my notes from a Sticky Note (Thank GOD for those little critters!)

First item: Streets of Franklin

I'm not sure what's actually happening here. Obviously there was an association (?) registered with the Secretary of State back in 1996, and their articles weren't filed until 1998. (which seems a bit on the odd side to me in the first place) Then NOTHING until now? 2012??

Who was accountable for the money that this 501c retained and spent? Who did their financial reports and where does the money trail go? Some non profits don't have to file annual reports, but in this situation, I'm pretty sure they do. (I might be wrong, I'm rusty on my 501c requirements.) I do know that they had to file reports with the IRS. Which leads me to believe that if they didn't file any annual reports with the state, they likely did NOT file the federal returns. And if the president 'resigned' so long ago, who signed the returns as the responsible party?

Second to that can of worms, there's a new 'elected' government that I'm not sure knows what they're doing. The gray haired gentleman is right, you can't just pick up the reins because you feel like it! That's not legal in any case. So they have a lot to do to get their ducks in a row. I applaud their efforts, but I think a little education on how things are properly done in this situation is really warranted, for all parties concerned.

Second: Ruby Bash Rally

Yeah, I can see why he'd be upset! Five years he's done the Rally and it's helped out all sorts of non profits and documented causes that affect people HERE in Macon County. To schedule the Rumble that close to his was a MAJOR faux pas, intentional or not.

Taking a step back, I can see where it might have seemed beneficial to try to 'coattail' one on the other, but at the very LEAST, they should have held the Ruby Bash Rally first. Personally I think it would be better to do like Pigeon Forge does with the Rod Runs and have one in spring and one in fall.

Was it a personal attack? I don't know. To be honest, I heard WAY more controversy over the Rumble being 'in town' and not a peep of controversy for the Ruby. I think it was bad timing, but if it was intentional... well, I always try to see the good in people and I hope that it wasn't.

He alluded to being shut out of planning for the Rumble, so that also lends credence to his claim, but then again, I don't know the whole story, so I'm probably making assumptions that are incorrect.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the two items that stood out to me. I'm a little on the skittish side of the whole 'Let's table the financials until October' thing too, but as these folks are apparently picking up pieces from a previous board that left the place in a shambles, I can understand why they'd want to get their figures strait. But how do they know they're not overspending if they aren't going to take stock of the financials until October? Seems a little odd to me too.

Ok, so that was three. Hope you enjoyed reading MY rant as much as I enjoy reading yours! Have a Blessed Night! :)

Carrie Ives