Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Fun In The Snow

Today, I had the distinct honor of taking my mother to work in the snow.

It was fun. I got to see several wrecks, some in the process! I also did a 180 in a successful attempt to avoid some expensive fender-work and a wrecker bill. The funniest part, to me anyway, was when my mother chided me for waving at someone in another vehicle as we all spun by each other. She said, "Quit showing off." I assure you it was a friendly wave, not a single fingered signal of appreciation! 0[8^)

When I came to rest, I was still in the road, but pointed the wrong way. I beat it out of there before I was tempted to turn around in the road.

Near Catamount Gap, We saw the driver of a red SUV, who was going about 50mph, lose control and slide across the grassy median into our lane (headed right for us), straiten it up, then he dove across the median back into his two lanes. He did this without slowing down. I was suitably impressed and wished that I had my camera rolling. My mother had insisted that I put "the stupid thing down" and drive. That was probably wise.

Anyway, there are pictures.



Top of Cowee Mountain



Cowee Mountain Large

Rescue Squad, Unit One

We arrive shaken, not stirred!

Upon reflection, I think I will, if asked, pass on the "volunteer" taxi gig. It's too bad on the nerves!

2 comments :

How fast were you going when you spun out?

You should have done like the smart people, and stayed home.

I was going about 25 or so (I was busy watching the crash derby around me) and didn't have enough momentum to carry me through to the stopped pair blocking the road. When the little pickup spun past me, I was almost stopped, and felt confident enough to wave since his path was no danger to me. I really hope that moron remembers me smiling and waving at him!

My mother's boss told her to go home after 11am, and the roads were perfect then. I made sure I stopped at Mickey's and got four tires with actual tread on them before returning home.

The neighbors used my pasture to sled in...I'll send you the pictures and video later.