Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti Suffers a 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake

From the USGS:


Earthquake Details

Magnitude6.1
Date-Time
Location18.428°N, 72.875°W
Depth9.9 km (6.2 miles) (poorly constrained)
RegionHAITI REGION
Distances60 km (35 miles) WSW of PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti
95 km (60 miles) ENE of Les Cayes, Haiti
160 km (100 miles) SSW of Cap-Haitien, Haiti
1110 km (690 miles) SE of Miami, Florida
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 6.5 km (4.0 miles); depth +/- 25.7 km (16.0 miles)




Commentary

Since Twitter is usually my first source of information in situations like this, I'm learning that perhaps I should not have let myself become rusty in the older ways of gathering intel on breaking news items.

So, I'll keep updating this post with new information as I get it.

**7.44am**

A strong earthquake has once again struck Haiti, shaking buildings and causing panic, eight days after a 7.0 magnitude quake left much of the nation in ruins.

The U.S. Geological survey said latest quake had a magnitude of 6.1 and was centered 59 kilometers from the devastated capital Port-au-Prince. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries from Wednesday's quake, which comes as an international aid effort is underway to help those affected by last week's powerful earthquake.

0 comments :