Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Science Saturday
Cosmos "The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean"



I am starting a new series of video posts for Saturday Mornings called "Science Saturdays" and will generally be posted at 9am Eastern Time every week.

For the first series of posts, I must (of course) post Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It has become the yardstick by which all video science series are measured. I will be posting one episode per week:






In this episode (after a brief introduction by Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan) Carl Sagan gives us a brief tour of the cosmos, the solar system and brings us to the earth, and introduces us to the Library at Alexandria, Egypt and Eratosthenes some 2,000 years ago, and their role in history. Sagan introduces us to the Cosmic Year and our place in it.



A personal note: I was not able to see Cosmos when it aired because I grew up outside the range of the local PBS TV transmitter range, and still do. I read, and re-read, and re-read the book "Cosmos" shortly after it came out. I did not see the series until it was released on DVD in 2000.

0 comments :