Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Friday, December 17, 2021

President's Column: The Most Important Gifts Aren’t Wrapped Up in Boxes, They’re Held in the Heart 

 

    As my family and I prepare to spend our first Christmas in Franklin, I am mindful of all the gifts I’ve received from this community since I arrived to serve as CEO/CNO of Angel Medical Center (AMC). Everyone I work with, our new neighbors, and those that I interact with in the community have been so warm to my wife, son, and I, and it means a lot. It’s a gift to be embraced like that and we’re fortunate to be part of this giving community.   

I reflect on the gift giving that happens during December and have to chuckle sometimes. Who hasn’t received a sweater you might never see yourself wearing or a gadget that you don’t have a use for? Of course we all remember those “perfect” gifts we got that made us think, wow, that person gets me. As I’ve gotten older though, I realize that whether a gift is a “hit” or not, doesn’t matter — the real gift is that the giver remembered you, considered you.    

I’ve also come to realize that my parents gave me the most valuable gifts I’ve ever received, and they didn’t come from any store, wrapped in paper and ribbon. They gave me their love and guidance, freely, and those gifts have stayed with me through good times and challenging ones. I also see clearly the thread that the examples they set in how they lived their lives are woven into the fabric of mine, particularly when it comes to my passion to care for others and always wanting to make a real difference in healthcare. As I look back, I know that I may not have been as thankful as I could have been to my Mom and Dad because I didn’t fully realize then what they were giving me, but I couldn’t appreciate it more now.   

Our community, patients, and AMC itself are fortunate to receive the caregiving gifts of our exemplary clinical team. Their “all in” investment in quality care means that our patients have access to services that are highly customized, supported by excellent medical technology, skilled hands and always complemented by compassion — the special gift that only a caregiver can provide. This might mean going the extra mile when it comes to listening and answering a patient’s questions, providing education about the strategy that their treatment plan is built on, or helping a patient map out things they can do to support their healing after hospitalization or surgery. Our team members don’t just consider their patients as their top priorities either; their care extends to the families and loved ones of every patient as well.   

We also know that there are times when our patients and families’ needs won’t be met exactly as expected, and letting us know this is a gift of sorts too. Once we know what you feel may have been lacking in your care experience, we can set a goal to fill the gap for future patients. This is why we’re intent on hearing from patients after they have received our care.  

We gather feedback using several different tools, including a standardized survey called the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Providers and Systems (CAPS or HCAPS), discharge phone calls (a verbal Q&A over the phone after a patient returns home), and leader rounding (while in the hospital a leader or myself should stop in to check on your stay and provide an opportunity to ask questions).   

These tools serve an important purpose, because they enable us to make changes to how we provide care that equals striving for further excellence. I also encourage patients and families to reach out to me or my office for an opportunity to voice your thoughts on your or a loved one’s care. We are happy to follow up with you about any and all issues related to your or a family member’s care, and also love hearing about and passing on your stories of great care from our team.    

I view every opportunity I have to make improvements here at our hospital seriously, and consider them gifts too, not unlike those given to me by my family. It is through these opportunities and being open to learning that we can push ourselves to perform at our peak.    

We must remember too that although the holiday season is joyous for lots of people, many others struggle to find joy, and the holidays can be uniquely difficult in that way. This season is a time of year when we see a spike in mental health needs, but sadly there is still a stigma around talking about these things out in the open and seeking help.    

We can all make an effort to be perceptive about whether our family, friends, and neighbors are struggling with depression during this time, and suspend judgement about mental health issues in general. We can all do little things to help, from simply asking someone how they’re doing and really listening, to inviting your neighbor without family close by for a holiday meal.   

Everyone here at AMC is excited to greet the New Year because we’re that much closer to having a wonderful new building and equipment, which will allow us to provide even more services, procedures, and superior care to our patients. Stay tuned each month to hear about the latest developments for our new facility.   

From our Angel Medical Center family to yours, we wish you Happy Holidays filled with health, rest, and plenty of time with family and friends.    

    Clint Kendall, FACHE, MBA, MSN, BSN, RN, is Chief Executive Officer/Chief Nursing Officer of Angel Medical Center. He started his career as a nurse, and that perspective still informs his work and passion for the patient experience. Clint holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Nursing, and Health Care Management from the University of Phoenix, and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Western Carolina University. He comes to Angel Medical Center from Andalusia, Alabama, where he served as Chief Executive Officer of Andalusia Health, part of LifePoint Health. He oversaw the management and strategic planning for a 113-bed acute care facility there, and led Andalusia Physician Services as well, after serving in leadership roles at LifePoint facilities in Richlands, Virginia and Henderson, North Carolina. Clint has also earned the Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) certification, and is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE), and the American Nurses Association (ANA). 

 

0 comments :