Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Duke Energy Using Helicopter to Clear Trees From Power Lines




While I was out running errands this morning, I saw a small black helicopter alternately hovering and flying slowly back and forth. It was a real helicopter, not the kind seen by the paranoid who imagine the Federal government is spying on them.


This helicopter, it turns out, had a number of saw blades hanging from it and is being used to cut trees away from Duke Energy's power lines in areas that are difficult to access by vehicle. They are using an innovative method to trim trees along power line rights of way, especially in areas that are harder to reach. I've heard that they've been using this method in some parts of Nantahala for a few years. This was the first time that I was lucky enough to see it in action for myself, and I thought it would be cool to share it with you, so I snapped a few photos and shot some video, which I've embedded below. I hope you enjoy it!




**5.50pm**

I couldn't resist. I made a time-lapse out of the helicopter footage...LOL



0 comments :