Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Illegal Immigration



Thanks to a problem with Blogger, and a very late start, my post for yesterday didn't make it to the web. Where is it? I dunno. Probably alongside about three hundred unmatched socks.
Update:I found the missing here.

Commentary

Are we going to reward people for breaking the law, just because there are a lot of them and they contribute to the economy?
What if our forefathers had had that attitude about slavery?
Oh, wait. They did do that, didn't they? The issue was too difficut to deal with, and their descendants paid the price in blood to free their brothers.

We need to face the problem of illegal immigration now, or pay the problem with interest, later.

I think our problem, and that of the illegals, is Mexico.
The Mexican economy is a basketcase. Corruption is rampant... Their whole country resembles life inside the beltway of Washington, DC.

I say if they can't solve their own problems, and those problems spill over our borders, then perhaps it is time to look at solving their problems for them. We need to consider putting boots on the ground inside Mexico.
NAFTA has increased the problem. Our factories have gone south for lower taxes, lower costs, and lower wages. This has fueled the Mexican hope for a better future. They see more money across the border in America. Why work for slave wages in Mexico when you can get twice, thrice, or more in America?
I can't blame them, really. I blame the morons in Washington for allowing this lawlessness to continue. I hope we don't inherit the whirlwind.

Call, Write, Email your Elected Critters. If you live in WNC, you can find them on my sidebar. If you're not worked up enough to look up the contact info, then you don't understand the danger we are all in, or soon will be.

Here is a link I found interesting.

It is now time for me to eat my breakfast and go to work.

4 comments :

Why reward people for coming illegally into our country when you can just jail all 11 million of them? Throw them in jail or cast them back across the border. That'll learn 'em.

Instead, why not accept the reality of the current situation, that we've got these folks living in the country - so we find ways to assimilate them - say through the Senate bill which requires immigrants to learn English, work, know U.S. history, etc.

The next step, the only one that will keep wages from bottoming out across America, would be to strengthen labor laws, disallowing exploitation.

Then, from this day forward, we can institute new border controls and reward only those who adhere to the new systems.

Or we can do what you suggest and put all those brownies in jail! Your solution, while lacking elegance and pragmatism, is certainly easier to put on a bumper sticker.

Stay tuned, Screwy. I'm studying up on the issue. I am dead set against concentration camps, gestapo-type round ups, etc.

I am for enforcement of the law. There is plenty of blame to go around, especially for the Republicans. I consider most illegals to be living in indentured servitude, and that is intolerable to me.

I am afraid the Elected Critters will punt the ball down the field.

Careful, TP, folks'll be calling you a socially conscious Republican before long.

As a conservative, I believe in individual responsibility. If I break a law, I pay the penalty and/or serve the time. I also adhere to the idea that, as far as government is concerned, less is more. I believe in empowering people, not gov't.