Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Sunday, October 8, 2006

A Legal Immigrant Speaks About Immigration




Interviews
Paul Purdue
Irish native, U.S. citizen, speaks on immigration

By Chad Adams
July 26, 2006

CLI: Chad Adams, Director, Center for Local Innovation
Paul Purdue, illegal immigration activist, recent immigrant, current U.S. Citizen


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLI: What made you decide to become a US Citizen?

Purdue: When I first arrived in America, it was only on a temporary basis, at the request of my future wife to give America a try before we made a firm decision on whether or not to stay in America or return to Ireland.

After getting over the initial culture shock (like driving on the wrong side of the road!), I grew to like it here more and more and to appreciate everything America had to offer. I remember the first time I was in a grocery store. My wife asked me to pick out a loaf of bread and I was so overwhelmed by the variety of choice, that all I could do was stare at the hundreds of loaves. It was probably around then that I decided to begin the process of changing my status and working towards getting my green card.

Once I attained my green card, I was very happy. But I soon realized that in order to fully appreciate this great country, I would need to go all the way and get my US citizenship.

I wanted to participate more fully in the political process, including voting - a right granted only to U.S. citizens.

CLI: Immigration is a dominant issue in national and state politics right now. You have gone through the process of becoming a citizen, so your viewpoint is somewhat different. How do you feel about the immigration debate?

Purdue: I feel that the current immigration debate in America is a sellout to the citizens and the legal residents of the United States in order to obtain votes.

I realize that the immigration process is difficult and at times expensive, but as a US citizen, I am pleased that the process is as difficult as it is, because if you want to acheive citizenship, you should have to earn it. That's not to say that there aren't things about the process that I wouldn't change, but overall I respect the process and the importance of properly vetting each applicant, no matter how long that takes.

CLI: The process to become a citizen is arduous, taking seven years, lots of study and personal sacrifice. What are some of the more difficult parts of the citizenship process?

Purdue: Without a doubt, the most difficult part is the waiting. The former INS, now under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security, and known as US Citizenship and Immigration Services, has no telephone number available to any of their local offices where an applicant can speak with a real agent who can provide them with information regarding the status of their case.

Currently there is only a toll-free number to call for general information and forms; and while you can speak with a real person, they can only provide you with vague answers to general questions and have no direct access or knowlege regarding your individual application.

For me the second most difficult part was the endless trips back and forth to Charlotte for background checks, fingerprints, interviews, etc. It can be quite expensive when you factor in lost days on the job in order to make these trips, in addition to the expense of the forms themselves.

One form alone cost $470.00! From the time I began the process until I finally achieved my citizenship, my wife and I had probably taken fifteen trips back and forth to Charlotte for travel permits, work permits, medical screening, etc. In addition, they are very stringent in how they set appointments for these matters. You are to come at the exact specified time, no earlier and no later. And should you be late or miss an appointment, they are quick to remind you that by doing so, your application process can be set back to the very beginning.

CLI: At one point, you were having to pledge not to accept any assistance from the government, but weren't allowed to work either. Tell us more about what was happening then.

Purdue: I arrived in America in November of 1998, and my wife and I were married a little over a month later. Because of the change in HER status, it required that she file a joint tax return for that year.

Unfortunately, I had only just applied for my change of status, and I was not allowed to work until it was approved. I was then issued a work permit. So, I had to apply for a Federal Tax ID number in order to file a tax return on wages I had not and could not earn. I actually had to pay taxes before I earned my first dime!



Read the rest here.

I have the greatest respect for Paul Purdue. He has paid my country (which is now his as well!) a great compliment by becoming an American.
I welcome him, and may God bless him in all his endeavours.

0 comments :