Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Sunday, October 15, 2006

October Straw Poll for 2008 Race



Here are the results as posted on Red State:

Giuliani 28.5% (22.4%)
Gingrich 21.5% (21.5%)
Romney 19.9% (18.2%)
Allen 8.1% (10.6%)
Tancredo 5.9% ( 7.3%)
McCain 3.8% ( 5.0%)
Brownback 1.6% ( 2.4%)
Huckabee 1.1% ( 1.2%)
Frist 1.0% ( 1.1%)
Hagel 0.7% ( 1.4%)
Pataki 0.2% ( 0.3%)

Commentary

Giuliani is okay for Rockefeller Republicans, RINOs, and people who aren't conservative, and don't think.
This guy is not socially conservative, and I, for one will fight against him in the Republican Primary almost as much as the egomaniac McCain. He will not survive the primaries.

Gingrich seems to be the only conservative in the crowd. His answers are dead-on in every area I have heard him on, and is the only candidate in the field that I would whole-heartedly support in community canvassing activities.

Romney is DOA after signing Mandatory Health Care into law in the People's Republic of Massachusetts in April of this year. This will make him popular with Populists in the Republican party and the Unaffiliated, he first must pass the Gauntlet of the Primary System, which is designed to weed people like him and W out. W only made it through because there was no one else worth considering in the hunt. This time there is..

The others are "also rans" and of them, the only one I like is Tancredo, who would make an excellent Vice Presidential Candidate for Newt Gingrich!



7 comments :

I don't think it's time yet to rule out many of those in the field who don't have national name recognition. The race is just starting to take shape and some of them may gain some traction.

Personally, I like to see Hagel get the nomination. He's a solid fiscal and social conservative.

You are certainly correct. This far out of 2000, I don't recall hearing of George W. Bush.

Don't be bashful about linking to your blog in the comments... some of the people reading might not know to click on your name.

I'll prbably be getting around to collecting websites devoted to, and against who ever for President, and I'll include Chuck Hagel for President 2008!
And I'll take your admonishment seriously and study up on Hagel.

Bleak choices, if you ask me. Before you vow to fight against Rudy, recall that he's one of the only leaders in this nation on any level that would (and did) refuse a check from the Saudi royal family. He's one of some very few that I would trust almost unequivocally on national security and foreign policy, even if he's a social conservative. But I'd prefer someone else. The problem is who. Gingrich says all the right things but seems too much like a talk radio host these days the way he speaks and operates. And I can't stand most of the rest of them. My only consolation is we're two years out, and a lot can happen and a lot of new faces can jump in the race.

Rudy is a Social Liberal...
His stance on abortion will never fly in the South, and the South Carolina Primary will take the oxygen from his lungs in the Primary Sprint.
Of course, there has been some tinkering with the primary order.

After all is said and done, I will most likely have to hold my nose and vote for the lesser of many bleak choices, as I don't believe Gingrich will be able to survive the primary process either.

I would like to see ALL states hold their primaries on the same day...preferably the first Tuesday after April 15th!!!

Depends on who you want to win the general election.

Of course if the party would back a real conservative like Keyes I will vote Democrat (again). Obama is not so bad.

Do we want the national party to emulate the California and Illinois Republican parties? Real conservatives get nominated and lose.

At least in Illinois they are running a RINO this time who actually has a chance to beat the Democrat incumbent.

I'll take incremental gains witth a RINO over losses from a DINO or a Real Democrat (tm).

BTW the Illinois race I'm talking about is for Governor.

I would prefer a real conservative in the Ronal Reagan mold who is Bullish on America, and followed the conservative principles as identified by Russell Kirk.
And I don't consider the President a true conservate.