Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Friday, July 30, 2010

Job Fair Poorly Attended in Franklin;
Congressman Heath Shuler Wonders Why

The busy Unemployment Office in Franklin, NC. Photo taken by Bobby Coggins on July 30, 2010.



There was recently a Jobs Fair held in Franklin, NC that was poorly attended despite a high unemployment rate. I've heard that Congressman Shuler wonders why so few attended. I went to the Unemployment Office today to see how many people were there. The above photo shows a full parking lot. I sat across the road for an hour and a half this morning, and traffic was brisk, and the parking lot stayed nearly full the entire time as people cycled through, looking for work.


My answer to the Congressman is that perhaps very few even knew it was being held. I certainly didn't know about it until after the fact. Perhaps the next time you attempt something like this, a little advertising before hand would be wise. Perhaps in the Help Wanted in the classifieds or putting a notice up at the Unemployment Office.


Read the article in Macon County News regarding the jobs fair.


Also, read a Letter to the Editor regarding same.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments :

I am regestered with Ncesc and this is the first I've heard about it.I really think they are dropping the ball over there. They said they would call me if a job came up that I would qualify for and never got one call.Was sent on interview for jobs that were already filled.They certainly don't do their jobs.

In my personal opinion, the NC ESC in Franklin is a complete waste of time. When I have been unemployed, they have been less than helpful. I have always seen better results by going to the Sylva office. It is much smaller, but the people over there are more helpful and knowledgeable about their jobs than the staff in Franklin.