Notice

I am working on the template of this blog today in order to chase down some problems that have developed with my template and widgets.

nullspace for future use

nullspace for future use

About

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Petroglyphs Found in Jackson County

I must have walked by these rock carvings for years, and never noticed them until one day last week while it was raining. I was having some fun, taking photos of familiar locations in darkened conditions when I noticed a rock had what looked like the figure of a man carved in it, as in this photograph below:



And here is a wider shot of the rock:



So, how do I know that I have walking past these petroglyphs for years?

I found a clue on a nearby rock, pictured below:




I know I shouldn't have led you on like this, but I was feeling mischievious and couldn't help myself!

I imagine that the rock is a class project to see how petroglyphs age in the weather, and also involved a trip to a local famous petroglyph, Judaculla Rock.

My favorite blogger West of the Balsams has posted on the Judaculla Rock in the following posts:


Could Entopics Explain Judaculla Rock?

Judaculla Strides Into Town

His Friends Called Him Champ

Seven Wonders of Jackson County

Judaculla's Microscope

Here are some additional sources of information about the Judaculla Rock:

The Serious

UNCA Judaculla Page

Appalachian History

Judaculla Highway Marker

Judaculla Rock on Flickr

UNC lesson plan



The Weird

L.E.M.U.R. Page on Judaculla

WNC Pagan Meetup

UFO Area (you have to pay to see the article)

I expect to visit the rock myself sometime next spring to take numerous pictures and do some pondering myself about this mysterious carved rock sitting in the middle of nowhere.









0 comments :